Saturday, April 2, 2011

Weighed blanket=success!!!

Kenz gets overwhelmed very easily and sometimes has a very difficult time calming down because of her anxiety from the selective mutism. She freaks out in the car if we take a wrong turn from the usual way, if something is bothering her, and she has difficulty sleeping. After much contemplation I decided to try a weighed blanket from my wonderful friend Sabrina who owns Squishy Butt's Baby Stuff. Kenz is easily calmed my chewing on tags of clothes or rubbing them between her fingers. Sabrina was great and made Kenz a custom blanket for her size and she put taggies at the top. The best part to Kenz was it was MONKEYS!!! The day we got it in the mail Kenz was having a meltdown because she didn't let the dogs in and I got the mail. She went in the bathroom and shut the door and cried forever. I tried comforting her but she didn't want me. Finally I opened the door and threw the blanket in. Less than 5minutes later and there was silence. I cracked the door open and seen her laying on the floor covered with the blanket and chewing the tags. She was calm and came out. Ever since we got the blanket last month it goes everywhere with us! She sits in her carseat and rubs the tags if she needs to. Check out Squishy Butt if you are interested! She als makes the cutest diapers and crayon holders :)

1 comment:

  1. I have heard amazing things about weighted blankets, not only for anxiety, but also for autism and adult bipolar disorder. I am so glad it works out for you, and that it has MONKEYS on it for her!! You are doing an awesome job with her....keep up the amazing work mama!!

    ReplyDelete