Sunday, October 3, 2010

What's that?

Mackenzee was reenrolled into early ons (speech program ). The lady from early ons had been at our house many times before working win kenzee so she was no stranger. When S arrived kenz buried her head on me and I could tell she wasn't comfortable so I let her go outside. S and I sat at the table so I could watch kenz and discuss my concerns and reasoning for wanting to start early ons again.

Background on Kenzee:
Kenz has always been a "shy" child. She would scream even as a baby whenever left at the church nursery or at someone's house we might not visit often. Kenz started attending daycare a little after during one for socialization and so I could finish up my bachelors degree. After going to the same daycare for over a yr she wasn't talking to the workers or other children and dropoff was still a nightmare.

S observed how Kenzee played outside and wouldn't even come inside since she was sitting right there. We discussed how I knew she could talk and had great language skills now but not many other people were able to see it. S asked if I ever heard of Selective Mutism and prior to her mentioning, no I hadn't. She described characteristics of Selective Mutism and I felt like she was describing Kenz.

As soon as S left I was on the computer googling Selective Mutism. How could I go through getting my degree in elementary education and taking some special education classes and never hearing of it? Unfortunately for me, Selective Mutism isn't googles bff. I didn't find much but what I did find was very eye opening. I just sat there and read over and over about Selective Mutism. I was in shock, could Kenz possibly have this? What would I do to find out if she does? My brain was going a million miles a minute.

On one of the SM sites there was a link for professionals who deal with SM. Wow, there were two doctors in MI that dealt with SM and neither was within an hr radius. I spend days rereading the site and finally decided to take Kenz to the peditrician and discuss with him.

I loved her pedi but wasn't quite sure how to approach the subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment